For the sixth year in a row, Brno expats and writing enthusiasts prepared the Brno Short Story Writing Contest, to spark that creative streak in any English-speaking resident of Brno (or past resident), to compete not only for the recognition of a story well told, but for a hefty prize pool, too!
The contest will take advantage of the general feeling of post-pandemic freedom – the theme for this year is about positive forward movement. The theme reads “Opening Up.”
The deadline for entries is Sunday, 15 May 2022.
The best short story will win 7,000CZK, second place gets 3,500CZK and third place gets 1,500CZ – the biggest prize pool as of yet!
The BSSWC is a free contest. Only one entry per person. The short stories must be in English, 2,500 words or less, and address the theme “Opening Up” in some significant way. Entries must be submitted by email by midnight 15 May 2022. Winners will be announced in June.
The jury includes a cross-section of local cultural icons and writing enthusiasts:
- Don Sparling, a co-founder of the Brno Expat Centre and a longtime leader in the local expat and Masaryk University communities;
- Tomáš Kačer, a teacher in the Department of English and American Studies at MU and a translator;
- Anna Formánková, a translator and book editor at MOBA Publishing House;
- Theo Singleton, a member of the Brno Writers Group;
- Anne Johnson, the winner of this contest in 2021 and a local producer of theater; and
- Lee Adams, the co-founder of both the Brno Writers Group and the Brno Short Story Writing Contest.
The jury will be instructed that the contest is focused on creating a story that includes the theme “Opening Up” in some significant way. The story is the most important aspect, including writing, originality, character development, and plot development. It is understood that most of the entrants will not be native English speakers and that, in fact, this may be their first attempt to write creatively in English. All entrants should endeavor to adhere to the rules of English; however, spelling and grammar will not be critical for success.
The organisers thank Jetveo Platform and App Builder (jetveo.io), for their sponsorship.