Brno Short Story Writing Contest returns
The 5th annual contest has begun accepting entries as it continues to bolster the cultural environment of Brno. The theme for the 2021 contest is: Where I am Local.
Deadline for submissions: 16 May.
The best short story will win 6,000 CZK. Second place gets 3,000 and third place gets 1,000.
The BSSWC is a free contest. Only one entry per person. The short stories must be in English, 2,500 words or less, and address the theme “Where I am Local” in some significant way. Winners will be announced in June.
The jury includes a cross-section of local cultural icons and writing enthusiasts:
- Don Sparling, a co-founder of the Brno Expat Centre and a longtime leader in the local expat and Masaryk University communities;
- Tomáš Kačer, a teacher in the Department of English and American Studies at MU and a translator;
- Anna Formánková, a translator and a book editor at MOBA Publishing House;
- Theo Singleton, a member of the Brno Writers Group; and Lee Adams, the co-founder of both the Brno Writers Group and the Brno Short Story Writing Contest.
The jury will be instructed that the contest is focused on creating a story that includes the theme “Where I am Local” in some significant way. The story is the most important aspect, including writing, originality, character development, and plot development. It is understood that most of the entrants will not be native English speakers and that, in fact, this may be their first attempt to write creatively in English. All entrants should endeavor to adhere to the rules of English; however, spelling and grammar will not be critical for success.
For more information and a full list of rules,
- go to the contest website,
- or visit facebook.com/brnowritersgroup,
- or send questions to email@example.com.