The Brno Expat Centre provides skilled foreign professionals and their families who live and work in Brno or plan to do so with free consultation and assistance. We have professional knowledge of the bureaucracy concerning a foreigner’s stay in the Czech Republic, and thanks to frequent contacts with officials know how the legal regulations are interpreted in practice.
We also organize expert seminars and informal meetings where expats can exchange experience and make new contacts. Last but not least, we publish practical/entertaining articles about the happenings in Brno summarized in a monthly newsletter.
Our mission is to help foreigners find a new home in Brno and create an open environment, so enabling them to take part in the life of the city.
Our vision is to be the main place for foreigners to turn to for advice and help, and a key partner of the City of Brno and local international businesses when it comes to communication with foreigners.
The Brno Expat Centre is a joint initiative of the NGO Brnopolis and the City of Brno Strategy Office established in 2010. We are a small organisation that aims at treating each case individually and knows many clients personally. We are delighted to welcome foreigners who want to contribute to Brno’s development with their qualification and dedication. May they BECome local with us!
Learn more from our documents:
Brnopolis is an NGO carrying out non-profit and apolitical activities that connect creative individuals in Brno in order to share experience and develop the city internationally. Such activities include organizing the TEDxBrno conference or OpenCoffee informal meetings which are held all over the world. In 2009, Brnopolis’ “ideas lab” was one of seven projects (selected from 80 applications) to be presented at the European Creativity Forum in Brussels.
- to build an active community of creative professionals who have experience and/or interest in the international development of Brno;
- to increase the city’s attractiveness for individuals and organizations from creative professions and industries (based on the Richard Florida’s concept of the “Creative Class”);
- to create an infrastructure for supporting expats in Brno;
- to provide an informal platform for exchanging experience and opinions and for developing the city’s policy and strategy;
- to act as a regional think tank / network.
Some of the Brnopolis’ activities:
- hosting 14 OpenCoffee meetings dedicated to ICT business, R&D cooperation between academia and industry, support for live culture, online media, visions for Brno etc. (2008-2012);
- organizing the TEDxBrno conference, part of the prestigous worldwide network of TEDx conferences (2011, 2013, 2014, 2015);
- holding regular meetings of creative expats in Brno;
- publishing over 400 posts in Czech and English on its weblog (since 2007), such as the series of interviews What Expats Say and Brňané v zahraničí (Brnovians abroad);
- organizing a photo contest for expats, as well as the subsequent exhibition of the winning captures (2010).