The Brno Expat Centre is a joint initiative of the NGO Brnopolis o.s. and the City of Brno Strategic Office established formally in October 2010. It follows up several Brnopolis activities undertaken in the past two years and is directly linked to the project proposal included within the Regional Innovation Policy of the South Moravian Region and the Economic Development Plan of the City of Brno.
Our mission is to create an environment in Brno where newcomers feel welcome and quickly make a connection with the city and its citizens. The BEC provides highly skilled expatriates living and working in Brno with the opportunity for individual consultancy and offers them an informal platform for regular meetings, exchange of experience and chance to make new contacts.
Learn more from our flyer.
Brnopolis is an NGO that carries out a range of non-profit and apolitical activities aimed at bringing creative individuals in Brno together to share their experience and interest in international city development. The non-profit and apolitical activities include running a weblog, organising TEDxBrno conference or OpenCoffee informal meetings which are part of the network of events held in 100+ cities around the world . In 2009, Brnopolis’ “ideas lab” was one of seven projects (selected from 80 applications) to be presented at the European Creativity Forum in Brussels.
- to build an active community of people from creative professions who have experience and/or interest in international city development
- to increase Brno’s attractiveness for individuals and organizations from the creative professions and industries (based on the Richard Florida’s concept of the “Creative Class”)
- to create infrastructure for supporting expats in Brno
- to provide an informal communication platform for exchanging experience and opinions, and developing the city policy and strategy
- to act as a regional think tank/network
Some of Brnopolis activities
- hosting 14 OpenCoffee meetings dedicated to the ICT business, R&D cooperation between academia and industry, support for live culture, online media, visions for Brno etc. (2008-2012)
- organizing TEDxBrno conference – a part of the prestigous worldwide network of TEDx conferences (2011, 2013, 2014)
- holding creative expats meetings in Brno (regular InformAL meetings)
- publishing over 400 posts in Czech and English on its own moderated weblog (since 2007), in particular the series of interviews What Expats Say and Brňané v zahraničí (Brno people abroad)
- organizing a photo contest for expats, as well as the subsequent exhibition of the winning captures (2010)